Who doesn't love queso?! This is the perfect recipe when you are looking for a delicious dip for the big game. This recipe is super easy and can be cooked on any smoker or even in your oven! Queso is great on its own but when you add a touch of smoke to it, it takes it to the next level!The great thing about this recipe is it can be adapted to your liking. Feel free to mix up the cheeses to try your own take on it, and add your favorite Tex-Mex seasoning. If you would rather leave the smoke out, no problem, just cook this in your oven. Enjoy!
- 1 Lb Chorizo can substitute ground beef or sausage
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced, feel free to use more!
- 1 Block 32oz Queso Blanco Valveeta feel free to use regular or Mexican Valveeta
- 1 Block 16oz Pepper Jack Cheese
- 2 Cans 10oz Rotel
- 2 TBS Lanes Chili Lime Seasoning use your favorite Tex-Mex seasoning
- 3/4 Cup Pickled Jalepeno feel free to leave this out if you want it more mild
- In a saute pan add the chorizo, onions and garlic and saute until chorizo is cooked through making sure to chop up the chorizo into small pieces. (Drain the grease when done)
- In a large cast iron pan or 9x13 aluminum foil pan, add the cubed up Valveeta, pepper jack, Rotel with liquid, seasoning, jalapenos if using and cooked chorizo.
- Set smoker to 225-275 degrees. Feel free to add whatever smoking wood you prefer. We cooked this on our Green Mountain Pellet Grill smoker with pecan pellets.
- Place pan on smoker and cook for around 1 1/2 hours. Check on it every 20 minutes and give it a good stir. (it will start out watery but it will thicken up)
- Once the smoked queso is all gooey and melted, it is ready to take off and enjoy! Eat with tortilla chips or even put this on tacos or burgers!
- Feel free to add your favorite cheeses. Other great cheeses that would be good in this dish would be Monterey jack, white American, mozzarella or cheddar. Pepper Jack is our favorite but feel free to mix it up!
- If you want it more spicy just add more jalapenos!
- If you would rather not have meat just leave it out!
- If you are cooking this queso in your oven it will cook quicker because we are not looking to add the smoke flavor. Set oven to 350 and cook for around 20-30 minutes.