Columbus Donair Recipe
Chef Aaron Mercier, the executive chef at Watershed Kitchen & Bar, joined us for our first grilling class in 2 years! This recipe for Columbus Donair is based on a Nova Scotian adaptation of the classic Mediterranean sandwich, the Doner Kebab. This is a reimagining of a favorite college-era street food of mine. It incorporates the work of two standout local makers, Macelleria Butcher Shop in Bexley, and Black Cap Hot Sauce by Jack Moore, the owner of Ruffled Feather ferments. You can buy both the Merguez and Black Cap at Macellaria.
- Merguez Sausage (recipe follows or buy prepared)
- Black Cap Hot Sauce
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- White Distilled Vinegar
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Onions of choice (I prefer white)
- Kosher Salt
- Herbs Of Choice
- Lime Juice, lemon juice, or white vinegar
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- ½ tsp coriander seed
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 garlic minced
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- Grill spray or olive oil and a cotton towel
Mix together and then form around skewers for easy grilling. Sear on a hot grill then transfer to an indirect side to cook all the way through.
Cucumber Salad Ingredients & Recipe
- 1 English cucumber, sliced thin
- ½ small white onion, julienned
- Herbs of Choice
- 2 tsp salt
- Lime juice to taste, or lemon, about 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Mix all together and set in the fridge to marinate.
Flatbread Ingredients & Recipe
- 375 g water, 90 F 65%
- 580 g AP flour 100%
- 14.5 g salt 2.5%
- 3.75 g instant yeast .65%
- 6 g Extra virgin olive oil, 1%
Mix all in a stand mixer on low speed to combine. Increase speed to medium, mix 8 mins. Rest dough 30 mins. Portion and shape, rest 30 mins. Can be held overnight and covered in a refrigerator. To bake, roll out into 5-8 inch rounds. Can be baked on a cookie sheet or grilled on a griddle. Can be held cold and reheated on a griddle, oven sheet, or even on the grill. Best if re-oiled and lightly seasoned for this step.
- (2) 14 oz cans sweetened condensed milk
- 4 oz black cap hot sauce
- 4 oz distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp each: onion powder, garlic powder, ginger powder
- 1.5 tbsp salt, or to taste
Whisk all these together
Take pita and slide Marquez onto the pita. Top with cucumber salad and Donair sauce and enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you! Give us a comment on what you thought or if you have any questions. Check our grilling class calendar to join us at our next one!
Write a Comment